- You control the conversation
- You have the advantage of a neutral setting
- You can develop rapport long before the product is addressed
- The Customer will remember you and be half-sold before ever visiting you at the dealership
- Outside prospecting creates the opportunity to separate yourself from the rest of the salesperson “pack”
- You will have more time to prepare selection and presentation of the vehicle
- Higher closing ratio
- Build clientele and reputation off the lot while offering service above expectations
Here’s how to build your prospecting skills. First of all, always be ready and proud to introduce yourself as a Professional Automobile Sales Consultant. Follow this up by asking the person you just met, this ONE SIMPLE QUESTION: “What do you drive?” This is a sure-fire way to get the car conversation started without seeming pushy or using a sales “pitch.”
Here are a few tips to remember when prospecting off the clock:
- Work your spheres of influence (friends, relatives, clubs and activities).
- Keep business cards on you at ALL TIMES!
- Be ready, willing and able to hand out cards and introduce yourself.
- Be proud; be professional. You are a valued CONSULTANT.
- Say, “I assist my clients in making one of their most significant lifetime purchases.”
- Keep cars in the conversation; people love to talk about them
- Offer assistance with their needs - Say, “Let me do the legwork for you.”
- Bring the car to them – whenever possible.
- Keep it casual, offering an alternative, less stressful car shopping experience.
- Follow up! Do what you said you would do. (This part never changes!)
Put yourself into a prospecting mindset. Use your time outside of the dealership wisely. Add outside prospecting to your daily work routine, and watch your business and clientele grow!
Vol 3, Issue 10