3. Advertise When Needed
When networking and employee referrals fail to generate a qualified candidate for an immediate position, use these helpful pointers for creating the right kind of ad regardless of what media you use for the ad:
- Sell yourself by using a “Why Buy Here” brochure, only make it a “Why Work Here” brochure.
- Never over-promise and under-deliver.
- Mention in-depth training, if you offer it.
- Mention that a mentoring or continuous improvement process will be provided, if it is.
- Advertise that you offer monthly associate reviews for ongoing support and live up to that promise.
4. Use Other Sources
When the first three don’t produce an immediate hire you may need to try a few more sources such as:
- Job Fairs: Set up a booth at your local college during a job fair day.
- Monster dot.com and other Internet job sites
The automotive business is a sales and service industry that can be compared to a fine hotel, fine restaurant or clothing store. Customers are willing to seek out, find and pay more money when the service exceeds their expectations. There’s no danger of exceeding customer expectations if we don’t put an end to the revolving door that is the result of employee turnover that starts with recruiting the right people out of inspiration, not desperation.